Sean Combs says behavior is ‘inexcusable’ in released 2016 hotel security video

Sean “Diddy” Combs issued an apology Sunday after video was released that showed him beating his ex-girlfriend Cassie in 2016, matching the description of an incident she detailed in a now-settled lawsuit.

Combs, who is the subject of a federal investigation and numerous civil lawsuits, said in a video statement on his Instagram page that his “behavior on that video is inexcusable.”

“It’s so difficult to reflect on the darkest times in your life, but sometimes you got to do that. I was f—ed up — I mean, I hit rock bottom — but I make no excuses,” Combs said. “My behavior on that video is inexcusable. I take full responsibility for my actions in that video. I’m disgusted. I was disgusted then when I did it. I’m disgusted now.”

He said that after that incident, he “got into going to therapy and rehab.”

“I’m so sorry,” Combs said. “But I’m committed to being a better man each and every day. I’m not asking for forgiveness. I’m truly sorry.”

Cassie, 37, whose name is Casandra Ventura, alleged in a federal lawsuit in November that Combs raped and physically abused her, including punching, beating, kicking and stomping her, over the course of their relationship. Her suit included details of being assaulted by Combs in a hotel, which appeared to be supported by the video CNN released Friday.

Combs had denied the allegations by his former partner, calling them sickening. He also said the settlement, which was announced one day after the suit was filed, was in “no way” an admission of wrongdoing.

Meredith Firetog, an attorney for Cassie, said in a statement Sunday that Combs’ apology video was “more about himself than the many people he has hurt.”

“When Cassie and several other women came forward, he denied everything and suggested that his victims were looking for a payday,” Firetog said. “That he was only forced to ‘apologize’ once his repeated denials were proven false showed his pathetic despair, and no one would be swayed by his disingenuous words.”

According to CNN, the video was captured in a hotel hallway in March 2016 and offers multiple angles of the incident, which begins when a woman in a hooded sweatshirt walks into the elevator with a bag in her hands. It then shows a man, whom CNN identified as Combs, running down the hall in a towel with no shirt on.

He walks up behind a woman near an elevator, grabs her and throws her to the ground. The man appears to kick her twice. He then begins dragging her by her sweatshirt while she is on the ground.

Moments later, he sits in a chair before he appears to pick up an object and throw it. The video does not have audio.

Douglas Wigdor, an attorney for Cassie, said Friday that the video “has only further confirmed the disturbing and predatory behavior of Mr. Combs. Words cannot express the courage and fortitude that Ms. Ventura has shown in coming forward to bring this to light.”

The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office said in a statement Saturday that it was aware of the “disturbing and difficult to watch” video. Because the incident is outside the statute of limitations for assault, the prosecutor said it “would be unable to charge” anyone in connection with it.

“As of today, law enforcement has not presented a case related to the attack depicted in the video against Mr. Combs,” the statement said.

Combs is the subject of a federal inquiry, and agents with Homeland Security Investigations raided his properties in California and Florida in March. The agents executed search warrants from US District Court for the Southern District of New York and seized his phones in Miami before he was scheduled to depart for a trip to the Bahamas.

Since Cassie came forward with her claims last year, five lawsuits have accused Combs of sexual assault, sexual trafficking and engaging in other criminal activity.

Combs has denied all of the allegations and has filed paperwork in court seeking to dismiss a Jane Doe lawsuit and partly dismiss another woman’s suit.

One of his attorneys, Aaron Dyer, also said in a statement after the federal raid in March that Combs was innocent. He described the raid as an ambush, saying there had been a rush to judge based on “meritless accusations made in civil lawsuits.”

“There has been no finding of criminal or civil liability with any of these allegations,” Dyer said.

kanggoro